AbleCommerce 7 Web Service progress report July 17 2010

by Joe Payne 17. July 2010 10:44

Well it's Saturday.  First it was Monday.  Then suddenly Friday afternoon was here and I just didn't get much done that I wanted.  Several phone calls got in the way as well as some programming research.  Now I'm spending a portion of my weekend getting some much needed bookkeeping work done. 

This should pave the way to put a big dent in the web service module next week.  I came up with a few new web service methods I'd like to add related to inventory items.  It adds more time to the module but I think it's a solid benefit and worth the delay.

I'd love to complain but business is great and the increased workload feels good.  It feels like a solid flow of work-in and work-out.  Having too much of one or the other just doesn't set well with me :)

Tags: ,

General News | Projects

AC7 Web Service code is done

by Joe Payne 9. July 2010 14:07

Finished the last of the routines I want to add to the Web Service.  Everything came out nicely.

Now for documentation, packaging, install testing and online catalog setup.

Tags: , ,

General News | New Products | Projects

AbleCommerce 7 Web service coming along nicely

by Joe Payne 6. July 2010 09:04

Ok so the holiday weekend involved a lot more fishing than it did programming, but that's the way it should be ! :)

The web service module has been converted to VB from the original C-Sharp used.  My preference is always VB because syntax is more flexible and the code is easier to read in my opinion.  No sense making things harder than necessary for the sake of urban legend that C-Sharp is somehow "better".

I added a new web method to retrieve customer records.  That will get finished and tested today.  Then I'll add a method to allow updating customer records.  After those two routines are tested, I'll try to think of a few other methods that might be useful and get those added.

Tags: , ,

General News | Projects

New AbleCommerce 7 module for external web services

by Joe Payne 30. June 2010 13:57

Time to add a new module.  This time it's a project I finished many months ago for a client.  The client needed a web service that allowed their fullfillment center systems to interface with AbleCommerce 7 via the internet.  The requirements included the ability to pull pending orders, retrieve and set stock quantities as well as post both full and partial shipment information.

The result was a compact but effective ASP.Net web service that provides a secured external interface to the AbleCommerce 7 store data.  By leveraging a very common interface protocol known as SOAP, this module has a broad compatibility base.

The module has been working rock-solid for nearly a year.  So, with the clients permission, I have started reworking the module to be available for sale to the general public.  This will provide excellent external interfacing options for businesses with multiple yet dissimilar eCommerce technologies in place.

My timeline is to have this done in a few days.  First the module has to be "generalized" and any client-specific references removed.  Then I'll expose some additional web service methods for more store data.  Finally some solid technical documentation will be developed to include with the module.

Overall, it's nice knowing the hard part is already done - the code is already written and very well tested.

 

Tags: ,

General News | Projects

Month List